This morning I received the following from Chenxing Han, an IBS alumna:
I hope you’ll join me in celebrating the release of my first book, Be the Refuge: Raising the Voices of Asian American Buddhists, which comes out on Tuesday, January 26, 2021 with North Atlantic Books, a Bay Area–based independent nonprofit publisher.
Be the Refuge isa labor of love more than eight years in the making.Back in 2012, I realized that more than two-thirds of American Buddhists are of Asian heritage—yet it was a struggle to find Asian American Buddhists voices. That realization inspired me to start interviewing young adult Asian American Buddhists. Eighty-nine interviews later, I realized these voices merited a book. Be the Refuge weaves these voices with scholarly insights and my own story of grappling with what it means to be both a racial and religious minority in America. You can read more about the bookhere.
If you’re interested, here are some ways you can help support the book:
- Pre-order a copy (paperback and eBook formats available) before January 26—or order a copy after January 26—from your local bookstore, favorite online bookseller,or directly from the publisher. Thank you so much to those of you who have already purchased the book!
- Request a copy from your local library
- Write a book review on Goodreads (anytime) or Amazon (on or after January 26)—even a brief review makes it easier for other readers to discover the book
- Tell others about the book via word of mouth, email, social media, etc. (Speaking of social media, you’re welcome to use the files in this media kit, visit Be the Refuge’s Facebook page, and connect with me on FB, Twitter, and Instagram)
- Teach Be the Refuge in a college course; desk/exam copies are available (ISBN: 9781623175238)
- Register for the Institute of Buddhist Studies virtual book launch event on Thursday, January 28 at 1pm PST, the Elliott Bay Books online event on Tuesday, February 2 at 7pm PST, or another virtual event related to the book
- Let me know if you’d like to host an event, or if you have any other ideas or suggestions for how to spread the word about Be the Refuge
Feel free to forward this message to others who might be interested. Thank you so much for your time and support!
With gratitude and best wishes,
Chenxing Hanbook | Be the Refuge: Raising the Voices of Asian American Buddhistsemail | firstname.lastname@example.org | www.chenxinghan.compronouns | she/her/hers